The Location of the Entrance
The entrance to the level is situated some 300 metres below the bridge where the B6265 crosses Hebden Beck, on top of a large platform of spoil known locally as Smithy Hill. It lies at an altitude of 181 m, with a grid reference of SE 02842 62966. Next to it are the remains of a mine building, alongside which used to stand the workshop of the village blacksmith, William Bell, who built Hebden Suspension Bridge across the Wharfe in 1885.
The lowest pin marks the entrance; the next to the north-east marks the limit of the currently accessible section; and the third marks the location of the Copper Gill Air Shaft.