Location: On the Legerins vein some 350 metres to the east of New Pasture Wall.
Latitude: 54.105836 Longitude: -1.962372
NGR: SE 02558 67775
Inscription: J TENANT & CO FOUNDER
This small stone lies alongside Meer Stone 41, and is a founder stone marking the south-east corner of the 6 meer lease held by John Tennant & Co which appears on the Brailsford survey of 1781. Note that an 'n' is missing from the name. A drawing of the inscription may be found on page 13 in The Mines of Grassington Moor and also in Arthur Raistrick's paper The Founders' Meer in the NCMRS 1962-1963 Transactions (see references). Tennant's leased four meers at this time, and three others of their stones have also been recorded as Meer Stone 54, Meer Stone 57, and Meer Stone 59. John Tennant was born in Hebden in 1733, and died in 1792. When he remarried in 1781 his occupation was recorded as 'miner'.