Location: 100 metres NE of Beevor's Shaft, a few metres to the north-east of the old bridge.
Latitude: 54.087548 Longitude: -1.969069
NGR: SE 02121 65740
Inscription: J•CLAVION ESQ & CO FOUNDER
This is a stone lying flush with the grass, with a very eroded inscription carved over two lines which in the photograph has been picked out with peat. The stone is probably associated with the south-east corner of the lease held by J. Clayton & Co marked on the Brailsford 1781 survey. Interestingly, the stone also marks the north-west corner of a meer held by T. Clayton. A drawing of the inscription appears in Arthur Raistrick's paper The Founder Meer in the NCMRS 1962-1963 Transactions (see references). A version of this page with a drawing of the stone may be found here